Funding Agency :
UNICEF and the Embassy of Sweden
Proejct Period :
October 2022 - September 2023
Total Budget :
Back to Ongoing
Objective & Goal :
To ensure safe drinking water supply, improved sanitation, and hygiene in selected unions, which will lead to achieving Arsenic free communities/villages, use of improved sanitation and adoption of hygiene behaviour. Focuses on WASH system strengthening at District and Divisional levels and enriching private sector capacity for scaling-up access to improved WASH services.
Major Rask to be done by Implementing Agencies:
- Organize a Planning workshop and meeting with LGIs at the Local Level on the proposed Project Plan & Arsenic Safe union concept.
- Assist DPHE on Arsenic screening training, analysis and reporting.
- Community Social Mapping and CAP using community-led approaches.
- Facilitate equity-based site selection for safe water supply by DPHE, LGIs & Other stakeholders using agreed site selection criteria targeting the poor & unserved.
- Provide support to DPHE and LGIs through community mobilization during the installation of water facilities and sustainable O&M.
- Prepare and rehabilitate the existing non-functional community-based arsenic-safe water options.
- Capacity building of the DPHE, LGIs and communities on raising awareness on WASH issues including WSP, arsenic, sanitation and hygiene.
- Coordinate with relevant Govt. departments and stakeholders through quarterly/monthly meetings.
- Demonstrate arsenic-safe union models including Community-led total sanitation (CLTS) in selected unions.
- Support setting adequate structures for sustainable management of services using community assets, NGOs or private sector
Community Approaches to Total Sanitation (CATS) for achieving and sustaining Arsenic Safe Community
- Selection of communities
- Community Situation Analysis and Action Planning
- Post-triggering monitoring
- Verification of Arsenic Safe community status: verification committees (union)
- Capacity building to LGIs and communities on raising awareness on WASH issues including WSP, arsenic, sanitation and hygiene.
- Certification: Arsenic safe communities
- Spread through LGIs, Natural leaders, and advocacy.
Key Stakeholders with this Project at the Local level
- Upazila Administrations
- Department of Public Health Engineering
- Upazila WATSAN Committee
- Union WATSAN Committee
- Ward WATSAN Committee
- Other WASH Actors